Tuesday, May 10, 2011

My Heart Overflows

Sunday was Mother's Day.  A few days prior I had gone to the store to buy cards for my mom, stepmom, mother-in-law, and Grandma, when all-of-a-sudden it hit me...this year I wouldn't be buying a card for Nanny.  She went to Heaven in January, and I knew it certainly wouldn't be a sad day for her, but Mom...well, she was a different story.  This would be her first Mother's Day without a mom to give a card to.  Then I remembered that Sharon, my stepmom, had also lost her mother recently and this would be her first Mother's Day without her.  It was all I could do to hold it together as I stood there on the card aisle in the middle of Walgreens.  My mom and I have had our share of struggles through the years, but God has healed our relationship so much and my heart filled with gratitude that I still have her to send a card to.  I'm thankful for the special place Sharon has in my heart and looked forward to an excuse to tell her.  I took a little extra time with their cards this year.  Instead of simply signing my name, I wrote a little note letting them know I was praying for them, since I knew this particular Mother's Day would be a little difficult.  I'm thankful I still have Grandma to send a card to, knowing how much receiving mail brightens up her day.  So yes, Mother's Day this year brought about a mixture of emotions.


My own kids must have sensed my bittersweet emotions, because for the first time I can recall, not one of them gave me a silly card, but a sweet one.  Don't get me wrong, I love silly cards!  But this year, there just seemed to be an extra measure of sensitivity in each one's sentiment. Each one said exactly what I needed to hear from each of my wonderfully unique children.


And then came the gifts...the boys gave me a Beth Moore devotional CD and a precious Willow Tree carving of a mother holding her child in a quilt, rocking in a blue rocker.  My rocking chair is blue and although its style no longer matches my home decor, I cannot bring myself to get rid of it.  I nursed babies in that chair, kissed owies in that chair, and even cleaned up puke from that chair!  Many prayers have been said and lullabies have been sung from that chair.  So, yes.  That carving was just about perfect.


But wait.  There's more!
Just when I thought my heart surely must be about as full as it could possibly get, I listened to my daughter sing me a song she'd written just for me! Oh my!  Rather than trying to describe to you how perfectly beautiful it was, grab a Kleenex and see for yourself!  


Verse 1
I was planted in the garden
The garden of your love
You've kept and watered me
and gave me kisses and hugs
I've grown my whole life 'cause of you
and now it's time to watch me bloom


Chorus
You held me when I was a baby
Kissed and bandaged every single owie
Picked me up and dried my tears
Comforted me through all my fears
And now it's about my turn
to put into practice all I've learned
So, thank you for all you've done
and thank you for all you've begun


Verse 2
All the laughter and happy tears
Isn't this the best career?
Moments of joy and silliness
are the ones I love the best
You'll never know what you mean to me
So for now, just know I won't leave



Chorus
You held me when I was a baby
Kissed and bandaged every single owie
Picked me up and dried my tears
Comforted me through all my fears
And now it's about my turn
to put into practice all I've learned
So, thank you for all you've done
and thank you for all you've begun...
I love you
~Brooke Perry May 2011



As if that wasn't enough of a wonderful gift, she then treated me to my very own spa day on Monday...she drew me a hot bath, gave me a massage, and a mani/pedi.  What fun, girlie memories we made!  


Whatever will I do without her for 3 whole weeks this summer?!!  Pray for me!  No, seriously.  PRAY for me!!!


You know, it occurs to me that the children Brooke will be with in Mozambique don't have mothers at all, much less know about Mother's Day.  She will probably come home wanting to adopt every last one of them!  


Taking time to write a note...praying for someone...giving a special gift...kissing an owie...holding an orphan...all beautiful ways to love The One and love the one.
Oh, and for the record, I dearly LOVE Bradley, Brooke, Blake, and Brent - the 4 greatest kids on the planet!!

No comments:

Post a Comment