Friday, July 8, 2011

2...

I'm smiling right now as I think about how very different my kids are from one another.  In summer of '09 my oldest, Bradley, went on a mission trip to Malawi and in true Bradley form waited til the last possible minute to pack everything.  Brooke has been packing for weeks now!  Bradley is known around here for procrastination and Brooke is known for planning.  One piece of common ground they share, however, is a love for music and the creativity for songwriting, singing, and playing instruments.  When Bradley was in Malawi God gave him some songs.  I have only heard one of these songs.  I suppose they were meant for Bradley's ears alone or perhaps the timing hasn't been right for sharing, but regardless, I'm thankful that Bradley had ears to hear the music God poured into his heart.


I am praying that God will give Brooke new songs while in Mozambique.  (He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD. Ps. 40:3) I'm praying she will hear Father God singing over her (The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. Zeph. 3:17)


I wanted to do something special with Brooke before she leaves, but haven't really had time to plan anything.  As it turns out, this has been a special week with some fun things we've already had on the calendar and because Brooke's work schedule was light this week, she has been able to participate in most of the activities.  Sunday we had a church picnic and received some much-needed prayer and encouragement.  Monday was the 4th of July and we had a fun-filled day with family and friends.  Wednesday Brooke and I got to spend a brief time together doing a bit of shopping.  Thursday she got to spend time with "her kids" from church, seeing a movie and roller skating.  Today we are honoring our friend, Krissy with a birthday luncheon at a tea house ("Tea for 2 and 2 for Tea"...sorry, I couldn't resist being a little cheesy!)  and tonight our church family is watching the documentary, Furious Love and worshiping together.  I can think of nothing more fitting for Ed, Kay, and Brooke to do than watch this film together before their trip.  Lucy, a friend, was kind enough to offer to do childcare tonight, so Brooke could be with us and watch it.  I know it will serve as a great faith-builder for all of us.


Chapter 2 of the 2nd book of the OT describes the early life of Moses.  Lord, just as You protected Moses in the basket, I pray Your protection over this team.  Just as You used Moses to deliver Your people out of bondage, I pray You use this team to deliver Your people out of darkness and into marvelous Light.  


The 2nd chapter of the 2nd book of the NT, Mark,  is full of cool stories...cool because they're true!  AND cool, because Jesus is the same yesterday, today, and forever, which means He STILL does those things today...things like healing paralytics, making sinners righteous, pouring new wine into new wineskins, giving us Sabbath moments of rest.  I pray, Lord, that you would do all of these and more in and through this team.


I pray a double portion of blessing for each team member in whatever area they most need it.


The 2 greatest commandments are to Love The ONE and love the one.  Lord, show us what that looks like and enable us to live it out.









No comments:

Post a Comment